Why a vlog? Here are some reasons:
- Creativity is a muscle and I don’t think I’ve been exercising it enough lately. I’ve been caught up in the minutiae of doing work and haven’t been spending enough time being creative.
- Lots of people ask me what a day is like for me. Or how I do XYZ in my personal life. There is a big audience that wants to see behind the scenes, from followers of Rebooted Body to other entrepreneurs, podcasters, bloggers, etc. This is a chance to let them in a little bit more.
- Video is taking over. Blogging/written content isn’t dead, but video is definitely taking the top spot. Vlogging isn’t just about producing more video content, it’s about filling the needs of my audience and making myself better at video production at the same time. Pretty much every company that wants to be successful online needs to also be a media company. That’s where the game is headed.
- It’s a good way to get out of my comfort zone. I’m already running into negative self-talk and other challenges and I haven’t even recorded the first episode…
“What are you going to include? Your life isn’t that interesting.”
“How are you going to record in public…that seems silly.”
“You don’t have time for this.”
and on and on…this means that vlogging is probably something I need to do.
- Personal branding. It’s important. People follow people more than they follow companies. And I do a lot of things. I’m not just Rebooted Body. I’m not just a podcaster. I’m not just a writer. I’m not just a photographer. I’m not just a parent. I’m not just an entrepreneur. I’m all those things and more. A personal brand can reflect more of that while a company brand needs to be more narrowly focused. I’ve been busy building company brands and not my personal brand. This is a way to strike more of a balance.
- It’s a more engaging way of delivering important content. My goal with the vlog isn’t to create a video diary or anything like that. My real goal is to deliver valuable content in an entertaining and appealing package. That’s it. It’s not really about me—it’s about what I can deliver for you.
- I just like video from a creative standpoint. While it often frustrates the hell out of me, I like video. I want to get better at it. I’ve been a photographer for a very long time and many of the skills I’ve honed in photography translate to video while also leaving the door open for a lot of learning to take place.
- Something cool might happen. I don’t know what specifically is going to happen once I start publishing the vlog. Maybe nothing will happen. Or maybe something important will happen. Who knows. All I know is that you can’t hit home runs if you never step up to the plate.
Think this is a cool idea? Here’s two things you can do:
- Drop a comment below and let me know what you think.
- Subscribe to my personal YouTube channel and prepare for Ep1!