Podcasting has been an immensely successful venture for Rebooted Body. I launched the Rebooted Body Podcast in Spring of 2013 and it’s currently closing in on one million downloads. It’s been a primary driver of our email list growth and our program sales.
For 2017, we decided we wanted to double down on podcasting by launching a brand new show with a completely different format. It took a while to come up with a concept, but I finally did when I was out on a walk. As a side tangent, I’ve talked at great length about how going on long walks is amazing for idea generation. It totally works.
Bite-Size Wellness is a show dedicated to delivering powerful nutrition, fitness, and mindset advice in bite-size episodes from top experts from around the world. Since the Rebooted Body Podcast is a long-form show, we wanted to test out the effectiveness of a short-form model.
The main purpose for us, from a business and growth standpoint, is to cast a wider net. Two shows, serving content in totally different ways, are likely to attract a lot more people than one show can do on its own. Since the content and focus are the same, they’ll attract the same audience. That’s good because we have a target market in mind for our products.
Here are the benefits to us as a company that we’re hoping to cash in on:
- We interview influencers and then ask those influencers to share the episode with their audience once it goes live. That gets the show immediate exposure.
- We ask the influencer to share their favorite recipe with us. We then publish that recipe on our sister site, EatRealFood.Recipes. This gives us a great way to add some great recipes to our site while also creating content the listener is going to want (more on that in a moment).
- We ask the influencer to share their favorite tool/resource. We publish this in the companion guide we make for each episode (see next point). Often, these are tools or resources that have affiliate capabilities, meaning we can make a commission if people act on them.
- We create a companion guide for each episode that details the influencer’s bio and the lessons and action items they presented on their episode. Listeners have to opt-in to our email list to get this companion guide, which grows our list. They’re incentivized to do so with the recipe and tool/resource (which we don’t reveal on the episode—only in the guide).
- If the influencer has a program or product to promote we include an affiliate link to it in the companion guide. This lets us generate commissions off sales of other people’s products.
- If we are super impressed with an influencer, we can feed them over to the Rebooted Body podcast for a full, long-form talk. This helps us generate culled, high-performing guests for the Rebooted Body Podcast.
- We use the relationship we gain with influencers to recruit them into being affiliates for our products and marketing to their audience.
- The new podcast establishes its own internet and social media real estate portfolios. These can be used to create backlinks to Rebooted Body and to promote Rebooted Body programs, posts, videos, etc.
- We are currently mapping out a program for ultra-beginners called “Bite-Size Basics.” More on that in the near future!
So you see, the way we’ve structured this creates a lot of benefits from a business and growth standpoint.
In terms of the long-game, Bite-Size Wellness is a test to see if should pursue created an entire network of podcasts under the Rebooted Body umbrella. We have a few other ideas for shows that we can recruit hosts for if this strategy proves successful.
Of course, the listener is a big winner in all of this as well. That’s what great business is all about—creating win-win scenarios.